Kehillah’s conversion course through March 2024 is Tuesday evenings weekly on Zoom, 8.15-9.30pm, with Rabbi Jackie Tabick. If you are interested in converting (or in speaking to someone about converting), please email Rabbi Roberta Harris (Rabbi Leah’s main maternity cover) at email@example.com.
Kehillah will also offer an occasional series of Jewish study for our members. To see what events we have planned see our calendar or our weekly ebulletin for information on what’s on in our Kehillah, as well as links to current information & events that may be of interest to our members.
Upcoming Adult Education Sessions
See our full calendar for other events going on in the community.
Throughout the years, in our adult education classes (‘Come Learn With Us’), we explore Torah and other aspects of Jewish life.
Those community members pursuing conversion or confirmation of Jewish status with Kehillah are asked to attend the whole online Zoom course with Rabbi Jackie above (unless they can arrange with Rabbi Leah to pursue similar learning in another way). Everyone is welcome.
Previous topics have included:
– Difference and Deviance – the Limits of community. Are there limits to who we can be in community with? What differences can’t be tolerated? This course was in partnership with our Masorti neighbours at Stoke Newington Shul
– Jewish history (Biblical and Medieval, the modern Jewish denominations, Zionism and Israel-Palestine, the Shoah/Holocaust).
– A three week course titled “Abominable Texts? – Homosexuality in Rabbinic Writings”, where we took a fresh look at key texts in the Talmud and later Rabbinic writings about male and female homosexuality and same-sex marriage.
– A 3-session Shabbat Song Sharing. This musical-educational-liturgical series covered the melodies we know and love to sing on Shabbat, as well as some lesser-known or new-to-us favourites.
– Sessions on “Trans-formations: The multiple genders of the Talmud”, about the space our texts create for trans, non-binary and queer people today.
Rabbi Leah teaches the majority of the sessions, and we hear other perspectives and connect to the broader London and British Jewish world on topical and current issues as well.
While we do not directly offer Hebrew Lessons some of our members have used the following:
The Ark Synagogue provides several levels of Hebrew. You can see their offering at https://www.arksynagogue.org/learn-hebrew-online/
Friend of Kehillah, Matan Rosenstrauch, offers various levels of Modern Hebrew. For more information you can visit his website at https://matanhebrew.com/
If you are interested in learning Hebrew or doing any other kind of Liberal Jewish learning in the UK, we can also recommend the Lehrhaus Adult Jewish learning programme at Leo Baeck College (the British progressive rabbinical college) and Azara–Opening the Beit Midrash (the UK’s month-long cross-communal yeshiva). They both have a range of courses available both in person and held online.